Vegan Asparagus Purée Soup
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Our vegan asparagus puree soup is good any time of year. We've served it chilled during the summer but prefer to enjoy it warm when it's a little colder outside.
It's perfect served as an appetizer but can also be the main attraction, especially when accompanied with your favorite bread.
This process couldn't be easier. You add the ingredients into a pot, cook, blend and season. No really, that's it.
This is a smart solution when you'd like something tasty and nutritious but don't have a lot of time to cook.
1 bunch (about 15), fresh asparagus spears, chopped
2 shallots, chopped (1 small yellow onion works just fine)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp, fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tsp, fresh thyme, chopped (dried works just fine)
sea salt & ground black pepper, to taste
3 cups, vegetable stock
*as needed, water - to achieve desired texture
1. Place a medium-size pot on the stove, over a medium flame
2. Add the vegetable stock, and bring to simmer
3. Add the asparagus, shallots, garlic, rosemary and thyme to pot
4. Simmer together until the asparagus is soft, about 5-10 minutes
5. Remove from heat and pour ingredients into a blender or food processor, blend on medium-high speed until smooth. *Add a little water or more vegetable stock to achieve desired texture.
*Tip: you'll probably want to blend this about a minute longer than you think to ensure the asparagus is thoroughly pureed.
6. Once blended, pour puree back into the pot and cook on medium-heat for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
7. Season with salt and pepper until desired flavor is achieved.
Garnish this soup with a fresh sprig of rosemary, toasted croutons or if you don't mind using dairy, a touch of crème fraîche.
In the image above, we steamed a few leftover stalks of asparagus, then cut off the top to make a cool presentation with toasted croutons.
At the fed kitchen we feature harm-free recipes developed by professional chefs. Each recipe is tested in our kitchens before publication. Find more harm-free culinary inspiration at www.thefedcollective.com.
Discover fun and helpful items for your kitchen and home in our DWELLING collection.